DESCRIPTION: Many primary care physicians overlook the importance of Iodine sufficiency in the body. Though many people use iodized salt to prevent iodine sufficiency there are various trends and factors that are leaving too many people with inadequate levels of iodine. This is having far-reaching effects on our health and society. Dr. Flechas discusses factors contributing to iodine deficiency as well as the risks and benefits of iodine supplementation.
1. Participants will learn the history of Iodine and its chemistry
2. Participants will become familiar with research concerning the symptoms and effects of iodine deficiency
3. Total body iodine testing will be discussed
4. Gain a deeper understanding of the effects of Iodine in the body
5. Learn the history of goiter and iodine replacement in the US as well as the current RDA for iodine
6. Learn the importance of iodine in fibrocystic breast disease as well as prevention of breast cancer
7. Learn how to minimize the chances of side effects from toxicity